Sunday, May 5, 2013

rash judgments.

"People will question all the good things they hear about you, but believe all the bad without a second thought."

For a long time, I have been thinking about how many harsh words are said to each other every day, and while I have been having these thoughts I have noticed that one element is prominent in many of the harsh words we say, and that one element is judgement. So, what exactly is judgement? Judgement is defined as: the forming of an opinion, estimate, notion, or conclusion, as from circumstances presented to the mind. While this judgement can be used for good to keep ourselves from harmful situations and to make sound decisions, the judgement of other people is not used for good and has started to get out of hand. 

Why are we so quick to judge others and say hurtful things even when we do not know the full story? Why are we so quick to believe the bad things about people without a second thought, but refuse to believe when something good is said? The fact that I (and I am sure many others) have reached a point where the negatives are so prominently focused on is very upsetting. Everywhere I go, something negative is said about other people. I can not say that I am innocent of doing this, but as I have been figuring things out on my own, I have realized that all this negativity needs to be stopped. Not only have I been judged myself, but I have also said things that I should not have.

Everyone hates the feeling of being judged. We all become frustrated and hurt when rash judgments are directed toward us, so why do we still do to other people ourselves? Saying derogatory comments towards other does not make me feel better about myself, and I can not imagine that it makes anyone else feel better about themselves either. I have always believed that there is no way to completely know someone. Although there may be people you know very well, there is still not a possible way to know their exact thinking processes and why they do the things they do. More often than not, first impressions and first judgments of people are proved wrong anyway.

Even if we do not agree with the things other people say or do, the least we can do is respect their thoughts and decisions. Instead of forming and opinion, estimate, notion, or conclusion based on the outward appearances that we see, why can't we just understand that all people have a reason behind what they do? Maybe if we could understand that fact, rash judgments would not be passed as often as they are. Maybe one day we will start to believe the good things that are said toward/about each other and deny the bad, rather than second guessing anything positive. 


Not all scars show. Not all wounds heal. Not all illness can be seen. Not all pain is obvious. Remember that before passing judgement on another.


No comments:

Post a Comment