Sunday, January 13, 2013

searching for the best.

Everyone has heard the old phrase "you always want what you can't have." This phrase is very common; however, most of the time we do not give very much thought to it. Over the past few months, I have realized how true this statement is. Whether one wants a better job, a better car, a better place to live, and even better friendships and relationships; it has become clear to me that this phrase can be applied in almost any situation. I have always wondered why, as people, we always want what we can't have. Why is it that we never want what is right in front of us, but rather something more? Maybe the thought of settling is what freaks us out.

Picking something and sticking to it can be scary, especially if one realizes later that they could have had something better. It seems like we are constantly saying we have to take risks and jump into something else; however, maybe we have never really considered that sticking with something could be considered taking a risk. Because of that constant fight for the best, we sometimes throw away the very thing that was actually the best for us, and there is a huge difference from what I think is "best" and what even my closest friends think is "best." And I think this constant search for the best is a part of what causes us to always want what we can't have, which also causes a sense of unhappiness.

Recently, I have realized that I threw away some things that were the best for me. At the time, I did not realize this because of my search for the best. I have finally started to understand that those who are satisfied with what they have when they have it, are the happiest people alive. I hope that I can one day figure out how to stop constantly wishing for more, and appreciate what I have sitting right in front of me.


"You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime you just might find you get what you need."


No comments:

Post a Comment