Friday, October 9, 2015

dance it out.


Dancing was a huge part of my life for six years. In high school, after a tough day, going to dance with my girls at Encore made the bad day fade away. Not only did I dance at a studio with built choreography, I loved dancing even if it was spur of the moment. I was the typical girl who danced around in her room, singing into a hairbrush. I loved dancing with my best friend when we were killing time before going out for the night. I lived and breathed by the phrase "when in doubt, dance it out," and dancing was my remedy for any kind of struggle you could think of. I did not care what anyone thought, or if my dancing was actually terrible. I did it for me, and there was no such thing as a sad moment dancing.

Somewhere along the line, I lost that. Real life got to me and I stopped listening to music that made me want to dance. I stopped dancing around my room and going to college dances. I did not even realize how big of a change that was for me for a long time. Over the past few years, I have lost myself, found myself, and lost myself again and the cycle continues. I am not really sure of a lot of things about life right now but I am sure of one thing, whatever the problem is, dancing is the remedy.

"If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best take it out and teach it to dance."
- George Bernard Shaw

Even if it is just bouncing to the beat in your car or making the vacuum your dance partner while cleaning, dancing brings happiness. Sometimes we take life too seriously. We forget that everyone is going through the every day struggles that take their toll over time if we do not step back for a moment and let ourselves be happy. Happy with the fact that we even have the ability to dance in the first place. So next time you get the urge to dance, do not take it for granted. Get up and dance without caring what anyone thinks, and watch all your stresses of the day just fade away.

No comments:

Post a Comment