Saturday, March 31, 2012

tears of happiness.

As human beings, we search for happiness everywhere. Sometimes it takes a moment of impact to bring out that happiness, and the biggest moment of impact for my last year of high school, brought on the tears of happiness. This moment of impact started with a simple goal. A goal that when glanced at, seemed impossible at first. A goal that pushed me to my limits, and sometimes made me want to give up on it altogether. As I achieved this goal, the rewards were small. But on my journey toward fully completing this goal, I made a decision. My decision was that if accomplishing this goal brought success, all of the frustrations would be worth it. I never knew how completely wrong I could be.

Not only was the achievement of this goal worth it, but this achievement helped me see exactly what I could do if I set my mind to it. It showed me that the possibilities of my progression and success, are truly achievable. It showed me that no matter what I want to accomplish in my life, it is possible.

Today, I won the award of "Who's Who in FBLA" at my very last FBLA spring conference. The awards were announced from the lowest ranking of the top ten, to the highest. As names started being called, I could feel my success getting closer. Although the reading of the names and passing out of certificates probably only lasted for 3 minutes, my heart beat was beating 100 miles per hour, and the wait between each name felt as though it was taking an hour. Soon, only the top two were left on the stage, and I was one of them. In my brain, I convinced myself that my name would be read next, and that the person standing next to me would take first. And then, something I thought might never happen... the name was called, and... it wasn't mine. I was the last person remaining on the stage.

In my mind, the actions I took occurred in slow motion. The moment I realized that I had won, my hands flew up to my face. I could feel a burning behind my eyes, and I knew the tears were coming. "With outstanding performance in the Who's Who in FBLA competition, Maya Hoyt, will represent Utah at the National Leadership Conference." My state adviser was holding my certificate and trophy, and as we hugged on stage I thought I might explode with happiness. I walked off the stage and straight into the arms of the state officers that I have grown to love and adore over the past year. Tears were falling harder, but they were tears of happiness.

Never have I ever, cried because I was feeling so happy. All the work I have put in to accomplishing my goal of receiving this award paid off. The feeling I felt on that stage today was by far, the best feeling I have ever had in my life so far. The feeling of knowing that my efforts can and will make a difference, brings strength back to me that I thought I had lost. I made a promise to myself a long time ago that I would break off from the norm, prove every single person who ever told me I couldn't do something, wrong (including myself). Today, that promise was renewed and kept, and I can not wait to see the next moment of impact that will happen in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment